Sunday, March 14, 2010

Just a Quick 2 Miles

Distance: 2.1 mi.
Time: 24:14 min.
Pace: 11:32/mi
Time of Day: 11:15 a.m.
Temperature: 45°F, 40°F WC. Cloudy, cool, rainy

Just a short, quick 2 mile run today. I can't believe I can actually say that. Six months ago 2 miles seemed impossible. My pace was good especially since I ran on the road, not the track.

Had a great converation with Coach Jeni. We discussed different pacing philosophies when you race. She starts slower and saves energy and momentum for the last half. It is called negative split when you run a race faster in the last half than the first half. However some people run a steady pace. What will I do? Hmm, no clue at this point. We also discussed eating before the race. I know I will need to have some kind of nourishment before I race. (I wake up hungry.) So I need to figure out what works for me over the next few weeks. I'm thinking that pancakes are definitely out.

So here are the things I need to think about and work on to get race ready:
  • stamina and endurance
  • breathing
  • form as it relates to my arms
  • nutrition: before race, during race
  • water intake
How silly I was to think that all you did was go out and run!

Also, kudos to my handsome son, Scott, who ran the St. Patty's Day 5-miler in 43:28!

No comments:

Post a Comment