Monday, March 22, 2010

Another Day, Another Dollar--I mean Another Strength Training Session

Distance: 1.1 mi.
Time: 15:08 min,
Time of day: 6:15 a.m.
An easy warm up for strength training

Not much to say about today's workout except it felt good. I am continuing with the same routine I have been using, but I think I will look at changing it after the race. Two reasons for this: 1) After 3+ months I think I need to challenge my body with something different. 2) I'm getting bored with the same thing every Monday & Thursday.

Over the weekend I was reading in one of my running books about how to get the most out of yourself. "Some athletes and coaches suggest that the ability dig deep and persevere is all that stands between you and your potential." I'm liking this. I can dig deep. "To do well, you have to push yourself. You have to keep going. You have to go beyond what you think you're capable of." I can push myself. "Ultimately, the ability to cope mentally with tough times may be what separates the best from the rest." I want to be the best I can be.

I now realize that running is much more than just going outside and running fast. I am frequently humbled by how much training is involved to be able to run a half-marathon. It takes works to get my body in shape; consistent physical training is needed. But I think that my mental training is actually more important than the physical training right now. I need to train my mind to know I can do this. I need to dig deep into the head and believe I will cross that finish line sprinting.

Three weeks remain until the race. This is the last week of increased road miles. Next week I start to taper. I need to work on mind training for these next three weeks.



Quotes from Runner's World Complete Book of Running copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment