Sunday, January 31, 2010

Running on Snow

2.3 mi. in 31:53 min. on a hilly course
Time of day: 11:30 a.m.
Temp: 40°F, WC 35°F

Today's easy run turned out to be not so easy. I met up with my son and he picked the course, a near-by fitness trail. I trekked this trail earlier in my training. Read about it here. And again today it kicked my butt. I am continually reminded that I am a beginner runner and small things make big differences.

This trail is not cleared when it snows. So it was dry in some places, wet in others; snow packed in some areas and even icy in some spots. I have never run on snow or ice, so that aspect slowed me down. And I started at the opposite end of the course from where I usually start. Not so a great move because I immediately had a long incline to get up. I expended alot of energy getting up that hill. So much energy that about 3/4 of the way I had to walk for about 3-4 minutes. I think if I had started at the main starting point, I would have performed better. My son was so great. He kept encouraging me as I struggled and when I needed to walk he stayed with me. He was surprised when I said o.k let's run again.

Not a great performance today numbers-wise, but I was out of doors (always a plus) and I finished the run running. I also appreciate and respect the reminder that I am still very much in training. All in all, I had a great run.

1 comment:

  1. Way to listen to your body and walk when necessary. Another (perhaps hidden) aspect of training is getting to know your body, what it's telling you and then actually listening to and responding appropriately to it. This is different than your mind trying to psych you out, this is your body talking.

    Always be careful when running on snow and ice...don't want to risk an injury.

    ReplyDelete