Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Correct Way To Put On Your Socks

4.11 mi. in 55:53 min.
Time of day: 7 a.m.
Temp: 44°F, WC 36°F
To Christopher and back!

When John Wooden became the basketball coach at UCLA, one of the first things he did was take the members of the team into the locker room and began instructing them on the correct way to put on their socks. When the players began scoffing at this instruction, so the story goes, Coach Wooden told them that their feet were their lifeline to the game. If the socks weren't on their feet correctly, it would cause discomfort which could affect their ability to play. If they got a blister because the sock rubbed, they would be out of the game. So Coach Wooden spent time teaching these young men the importance of putting on their socks correctly. Driving home the point that small things can make a difference.

I learned first hand this morning about the socks. I had to stop twice to pull up one of my socks. Obviously I didn't put it on correctly. The second time fixed the situation, but I thought about Coach Wooden this morning while I ran. I don't know a lot about the man, but I do know that he taught his players to pay attention to the small details, like putting on your socks correctly. I realize when I pay attention to my form, keep my shoulders down, upright back, hands pointed straight ahead with elbows bent, place my feet properly as they hit the ground, running becomes less work and more pleasure.

Good form helped me run a new distance today, 4.11 miles. But more than the miles it was the turn around point I ran to. A point I had previously psyched myself out of running to. A point that really was not that much farther than I had previously run. Good form kept me going strong the entire run. Thanks, Coach Wooden.

I'd also like to say thanks to my coach, Jeni, and The Love Of My Life, and my other children for their support and encouragement as I make this journey. I'm having a great time. I appreciate every word of encouragement from each of you. Thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work!!!!! Your strong base, good form, and attention to small details will make you a strong runner!

    ReplyDelete