Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Consistency

3.79 mi. in 52:21 min. 0% incline
.25 mi warmup & .29 cool down totalling 9.21 min.
Actual run stats 3.25 mi. in 43:00 min.

Wind chill this morning was around 10°F. so I ran on the treadmill, hopefully the last time this week. Temps are supposed to climb to the low-40s later this week.

For a long time I had a sign on my refrigerator that said something like, "Small changes = big results". This was supposed to motivate me to eat better. The thinking is that small changes in my eating habits would eventually result in big weight loss. It didn't work. And I think the reason why is because it did not include the concept of consistency. "Consistent" small changes will equal big results.

I see the difference consistent training has had on my running. When I started this journey 8 weeks ago, I could only run for 1 minute at a time. But my daily, gradual, consistent work has paid off and today I ran 3.25 mi. in 43:00 minutes. Amazing that I ran a total of 3.25 miles and that I ran for 43 minutes straight.

I see and feel the difference consistent training has had on my body and also my mind. Today as I hit the 3-mile mark I was feeling tired and, truthfully, could have quit. But I told myself, "You can do it. You have already run 3 miles a couple of times. Time to up the distance just a tad. You can do it, Duffy Moon!" By consistently running 5 & 6 days a week for the past 8 weeks I knew I had what it would take to get me through that last 1/4 mile. And I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment