Monday, December 7, 2009

Back on the Road Again

Sunday: 2.3 mi. in 35:46 min.
Today: 2.3 mi. in 35:20 min.

I changed my route yesterday. I ventured out of my subdivision and on to the main road by our house. It has pretty heavy traffic, but it does have a biking/running lane. Even when I walked regularly I didn't go out on Telegraph Rd. I always have walked in my subdivision or on a trail or walking path. For some reason the thought of being a pedestrian on that road scared me. But I ran about 11 a.m. yesterday thinking everyone would be in church services and there wouldn't be much traffic. Whoa! Was I wrong! But having run on the road once and survived—I figured I was safe. So I ran it again this morning.

The advantage to this route is that there are fewer hills. I still have to walk up the big hill from my house to get to Telegraph, but it is fairly flat after that. Unlike running in the subdivision with constant ups and downs. It was a little scary this morning running in the dark. But I had my cool head lamp and I was very cautious and alert. So I've overcome another hurdle.

I ran 5 circuits of jog 2 min/walk 3 min and then jogged 3 min/walk 2 min for the last circuit. I will increase the 3/2 circuit to at least 2 times tomorrow, maybe 3. I feel ready to make the switch, but I'm still recovering from this darn head cold and I don't want to push myself too much.

We are expecting some inclement weather this week, so here is my schedule. If it is snowing or icy any morning I will move to the treadmill at the gym to run.

Sunday: done
Monday: done
Tuesday: run at 5:30 a.m.; 2-3 circuits of jog 2 min/walk 3 min; 3-4 circuits of job 3 min/walk 3 min.
Wednesday: run on the treadmill: 3 circuits of jog 2 min/walk 3 min; 3 circuits of jog 3 min/walk 2 min.
Thursday: run at 5:30 a.m.: 2 circuits of jog 2 min/walk 3 min; 4 circuits of jog 3 min/walk 2 min.
Friday: run at 5:30 a.m.: 1 circuit of jog 2 min/walk 3 min; 5 circuits of jog 3 min/walk 2min.
Saturday: rest

No comments:

Post a Comment