Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rest, Rest, Rest

Rest Day, Yoga this evening.

This week is better than last week. But I think I have hit a slump where it would be easy to quit if I wasn't already signed up for 2 races. I feel like I am running a lot but not making progress. It seems like I have been running the same 3 or 4 miles for a really long time. In fact, that isn't the case. I have only run 4 miles 3 times. Maybe it is all the 3 mile runs that seem endless.

Last week was a step-back week so every run was 3 miles, no additional miles. Jeni explained to me that every few weeks a step-back week is scheduled to allow my body to adjust to the additional distance that I run. I understand that. But, I've been running 3 miles for almost a month now. And a lot of it has been on the treadmill. Hmm, that probably adds to the feeling of running but going nowhere.

As I look at my training schedule I see that I will be adding miles for the next 2 weeks. I sure hope it doesn't snow anymore! And I realized last night there are only 10 days until my first official race. So I have several things to look forward to. And there's no way I'm going to quit. I really enjoy running too much to stop. I guess I'm impatient for more distance and better weather.

Maybe that's it! I'm suffering a mild case of cabin fever. Whew! That makes me feel better. It's not the distance thing at all, but the weather keeping me inside most of the time that is weighing on my mind. Can I modify my daily schedule so I can run late morning or early afternoon? That way I would catch more sunshine. I'll have to work on this.

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to follow your thought process through that blog. You started out kinda down and by the end you'd identified some potential reasons and solutions for your lethargy. Great job! You have a race next weekend that will really mix things up for you. The distance you are running right now is mundane but trust me, you need a solid foundation! These base miles ensure that when we start adding more miles you will be ready and able to handle them! I don't won't you to be faced with a 7 mile run unprepared, then limp through the workout only to end up saying I hate running that was the worst, I'm never running again. Hang in there Good weather and longer runs are in your very near future!

    ReplyDelete