Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mixin' It Up

3.0 mi. in 38:18 min.
Time of day: 2 p.m.
Temp: 35°F, WC 31°F, cloudy

So much for the insight yesterday that I need to get out later in the day and absorb some life enriching sunshine. The weather forecast for today is cloudy with a winter storm on the way. Snow & ice tomorrow. I did swap Thursday's and Friday's workouts. I ran today and, if I can't get to the gym tomorrow, I will be able to do most of my strength training at home.

As I was running today I was thinking about struggling these last 10 days or so. I reminded myself that I usually experience some difficulties right before having a breakthrough. I learned this in therapy the last few years. Over and over I would experience difficulties, feel like giving up, get depressed and wham! I would have a break through that would catapult me forward. I do not progress at a steady, linear, upward motion. I move forward in leaps and bounds. So applying this self-knowledge I figure I will get my stride back, better than ever, sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. 2 steps forward and 1 step back (now I know where your oldest grandson gets it from!) Is actually very typical of many athletic training programs.

    Continue visualling for your race which is 8 days away. Think about cold, people, crowds, etc. Visualize yourself running and finishing the race. Think about this race while you are running on the treadmill (to make the time pass). The next few days should be race prep days. Think about what you are eating and sleeping. The night before isn't the day to carb load and get a good nights sleep, this ENTIRE week before the race you should be eating a normal amount of carbs and other health foods. You should be getting plenty of rest and remember that the night before the race you will probably not sleep well (too excited) so be sure and sleep well the entire week to "counteract" the night before bad sleep. (Who knows, you may surprise us both and sleep great the night before the race, but better to be safe than sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete