Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Day After 5 Miles on a Treadmill

Rest Day

I was exhausted yesterday afternoon and evening after running 5 miles on the treadmill. Jeni & I talked late in the day about how tired I was and I asked her if it could be because I didn't eat any GU while I was running. She said she didn't think so, not at this distance. But when I casually mentioned later about having shoveled snow in the morning she broke in and said, "That's probably why you are so tired now." Maybe. I guess so. I know shoveling snow is hard work, but still…would it make that much difference? So as the day wore on I contemplated my tiredness and the snow shoveling and how it all is intertwined.

One reason I wanted to start running is to increase my fitness level. I did not like being only 54 and feeling so out of shape. I felt physically weak; I lacked energy. And I just didn't want to feel that way. I want to be physically active and strong. I also want to be mentally sharp. Sometimes I look at the vast majority of women around me and I cringe. I don't want to be huffing & puffing my way through life, unable to shovel the snow in winter or rake the leaves in the fall. I don't want to qualify for the Olympics, but I do want to be active and energetic.

I realize that I've only been on this journey for a 3 months. I'm no where near what is called "fit". But I am better than I was last summer. And that's a start. And every time I increase my running distance or time or speed my body must adjust. Maybe next winter I'll be better able to shovel snow and run 5 miles on a treadmill without being so darn tired. But today—I'm really glad it's a rest day.

No comments:

Post a Comment