Friday, April 23, 2010

Yesterday and Today

Thursday's Run
Distance: 2.29 mi.
Time: 29:51 min.
Pace: 13:01 min./mi.
Time of day: 12:20 p.m.
Temperature: 65°F. (I forgot to log the temperature, but it was close to that.) It was a beautiful noontime run.

My first attempt at running up the hill in front of my house. I have to laugh! I live halfway up a pretty long hill. Coach Jeni told me earlier this week that from the bottom of the hill to about halfway would be good training for my next race. So today I walked out of the house, down the hill and stretched a little. I took off up the hill at a pretty slow pace (about 15:30 min./mi.). I did actually make it to the top of the street. At that point you turn, continue up the hill another block and then the road flattens out. As I said, I made it to the top of my street. That was my goal. I was lightheaded and breathing hard gasping for breath. But I didn't stop. I turned the corner and walked the remaining 1 block to the flat part of the road. My breathing had slowed enough that I started running. (Yes, actually running, with only one foot on the ground at a time.) I ran out of my subdivision and on to my usual 2 mile course.

It took about 3/4 of mile before I felt I have recovered from the hill. But, hey, that was my first time. It will only get better from here on out.

Oh yes. I swapped Thursday and Friday workouts. It was supposed to rain all day Friday so I decided to run Thursday and go to the gym for strength training on Friday. Which I did.

Friday's Workout
An easy 1 mile on the treadmill to warm up, then 1 set of each exercise to ease back into the strength training routine.

I need to increase my upper body strength so I don't slump so much as I tire during running. Besides, it makes me look better. And as I have said to The Son a couple of times, "It's all about the look." He'll understand.

Saturday is my first "long" run since the race. It is 5 miles. It is supposed to rain tomorrow also. But I think I will run in the rain (if it's not too bad) just for the experience.

It feels good to be working out regularly again. I understand that I need to give my body time to recover from racing and I understand that right now that takes me a couple of weeks. But, I miss the discipline of working out every day. I tend to get lazy when I'm taking it easy with the training. It 's a darn good thing I have such a great Coach to keep me healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment