Friday, April 23, 2010

Catching Up Part 1

I am way behind and it will take several posts to catch up. So here goes.

I ran the Go! St. Louis half marathon and feel pretty good about my performance. Coach Jeni suggested I go easy the following 2 weeks and I havem mostly.

1st Run Post Race
Distance: 4.3 mi
Time: 51:24 min.
Pace: 11:57 min/mi.
Time of Day: 6:30 a.m.
Temp: 48°F. It was a beautiful morning to run.

In looking at my pace, I didn't exactly take it easy with this run and I paid for it the next day. I was noticeably sore.

I didn't run again until Saturday due to business travel.

Saturday's run 04/17/10
Distance: 4.14 mi.
Time: 54:19 min.
Pace: 13:07 min./mi.
Time of day: 7:30 a.m.
Temperature: 42° F. A crispy, chilly Chicago morning.

I was fortunate to run with Coach Jeni this morning. It was a teaching run. Coach Jeni explained to me that when she tells me I'm "walking" what she means is that I never have just one foot on the ground. I am in actuality power walking, keeping both feet on the ground and just walking very fast. I call it shuffling and I intend to end it. We also worked on my breathing. I breathe way too shallow. We talked about using visualization to "see" my lungs filling with air and then blowing it out. When I focus on my breathing I do o.k. It's when my thoughts are wandering around that I slip back into a shallow breathing pattern.

Coach Jeni thinks she is hard on my. But I told her that I look to her, depend on her to help me become a better runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment