Friday, April 23, 2010

Catching Up Part 2

While I was in Chicago Coach Jeni and I discussed the possibility of my running the North Short half in June. It would be an opportunity for me to run with her again. (I really want her to run her own race!) I came home thinking about the race but feeling some hesitation on Coach Jeni's part. Did she think it was too soon for me to race again? Did she think I wouldn't be able to complete the race because of Park Ave. Hill? Did she just not want to run with me? Did she think I was too slow to run with? Only a frank conversation would answer my questions.

So I called her. We talked. I'm signed up for the North Shore half. She will run the race at her pace. (Yeah!) I will debut as a solo runner. All is good. Now I just have to train for the hill.

Monday Run
Distance: 1.85 mi.
Time: 22:52 min.
Pace: 12:22 min./mi.
Time of Day: 7:15 p.m.
Temperature: 62°F. Cool evening air

Monday is supposed to be a strength training day. However, after being out of the office 3 days last week and all weekend, I was swamped at work. I didn't make it to the gym so in the evening while The Love walked around the school track I ran. I ran sans music and focused on breathing. I feel like I have a band around my chest just below my bra that keeps me from expanding my chest and getting air into the lower lung. How do I change that?

Tuesday's Run
Distance: 2.9 mi.
Time: 35:25 min.
Pace: 12:12 min./mi.
Time of day: 6:15 a.m.
Temperature: 40°F. Cool & clear this morning.

Again today no music but lots of focus on the breathing. I finally came up with a mental vision of filling the lower lungs and then expanding outward my upper lungs. Kinda hard to describe but it works as long as I pay attention. Hopefully it will become a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment