Saturday, November 28, 2009

Too Big For My Pants

2.56 mi in 40:44 min.

DD1 and I turned around and ran this morning even though it had not been 24 hours since our last run. I really wanted to get in one more run with her. In addition, I wanted to run my new 2 min jog/3 min rest with her coaching me.

It was tough to get started. (I really understand the 24-hour rest rule.) So the first 2 min jog was a warm-up and then in trying to put on a good show, jogged too fast for the next 2 reps. I was very tired at the end of the 3rd 2-min. jog. We slowed down considerably for #4 so I could find a more realistic pace and focus on breathing. That worked and #5 & #6 were much better. DD1 said my recovery during the 3 min. rests was good. She felt confident I was ready for this step up. I rated the run as an 8 on a 10-point scale.

So back at her house, with a couple of cups of coffee in me, I started in about how this run was an 8, but the now the next run would be like a 6 or 7 and then down until I hit the 4 or 5 mark and would up my intensity again. She stopped what she was doing and said, "Not so fast. Remember you are resting tomorrow. So Monday you will be coming off a rest day. You will be back in your neighborhood with hills. You won't be running with me to pace you. I would expect Monday's run to be at least an 8, maybe a 9." That will teach me to get too big for my pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment