Monday, November 23, 2009

And the Learning Continues

It was suggested that I include my training routine here for additional accountability. Also, the question was posed as to why I didn't include my schedule in my last post. So here is what's going on this week. And I will update this information every week.

I run early in the morning, around 5:30 a.m. So I will do that tomorrow, Tuesday. The rest of the week I will be visiting DD1. We have 1 run planned, for Friday I think. It's to Starbucks where DH will meet us and drive us home after indulging in a Pumpkin Latte and a Skinny Vanilla Latte. We also have a walk along the beach scheduled with DH. My plan is to run Wednesday morning with DD1 at 5:45 a.m. Take Thursday off, Starbucks run on Friday, & run at 5:45 a.m. on Saturday, again with DD1. I am not opposed to a Thursday run, I am just waiting to see what the holiday festivity schedule is.

So how am I training for this 1/2 marathon? DD1 is a runner and has participated in triathalons, marathons and a lot of 1/2 marathons. I talked to her about how to get started and she mapped out this plan:
  • Week 1: Walk 4 min. jog 1 min. Repeat 6 times for a total of 30 min.
  • Week 2: Walk 3 min. jog 2 min. Repeat 6 times for a total of 30 min.
  • Week 3: Walk 2 min. jog 3 min. Repeat 6 times for a total of 30 min.
  • Week 4: Walk 1 min. jog 4 min. Repeat 6 times for a total of 30 min.
  • Week 5: Jog 30 min.
  • When I can comfortably jog 30 min. check back with DD1 for the next phase.
I start my run with a 5-min. warm-up walk and I end with a 3-5 min. cool-down walk. I am still on Week 1 this week. I have 6 months to train and I don't want to burn out or injure myself. I don't know if I will take 2 weeks at each level, but I have the time if I think I need to.

I do have a reference book on order from Amazon about training for a 1/2 marathon. DD1 helped me pick it out. I"ll read that and incorporate it in to my training also.

No comments:

Post a Comment