Thursday, November 26, 2009

Indoor Running

Approx. 1.25 mi in 27:06 min.
Because it is raining & cold here DD1 took DH & me to the local rec center and we ran indoors on a track. I have never belonged to any kind of rec center so this was new to me and very pleasant I might add. But I think I still prefer running out of doors. It seems I spend most of my life running in circles so why intentionally run in circles when I train, if I can avoid it?

One of the other good things about this morning's run is that I received some valuable training information from DD1. She began running in high school on the cross country team. I knew that her coach had quite an influence on her because she a) after finishing the season, she wanted to do it again, and b) she spent her hard earned money to buy him a personalized clip board to use in his coaching duties. This morning she shared some things she learned from Coach Powel.

Breathing-DD1 talked to me about the importance of focusing on my breathing and regulating my breaths. You can use your breathing as a kind of meditation to get you through a tough run, or to ease a cramp. I was surprised how well this worked. She suggested breathing in for a count of 2 and then breathing out for a count of 2. She breathes in through her nose and out through her mouth. She reminded me that that is her rhythm and I will need to find my own rhythm. I started out with her rhythm and it was immediately obvious to me how much this helped me. I don't have my own rhythm yet, but I'm sure it will develop on its own. For now I'm using DD1's.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I have so much to be grateful for in my life. Here is just a short list: DH, my children, my home, my career, my sewing & crafting, my friend, Londa; a closer relationship with Jesus, my neighbors, food on the table, and a warm bed at night beside the Love of My Life; running & my favorite personal trainer, my friend, Dr. Ron; friends & family with whom I am spending this holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment