Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh Man!

Saturday, July 10
Distance: 8.0 mi.
Time: 2:03:50
Pace: 15:29 m/mi
Time of Day: 9:30 a.m.
Weather: 81°F at start, 96°F at end. Again, very humid


A later start, no breakfast, and not enough water combined to knock me on my ass Saturday morning. It was bad. I started feeling depleted at about 3.5 miles. I considered turning around then, but heck, it was only 1/2 mile more to my 4.0 mile turnaround point. By the 5.0 mile mark I had pretty much stopped sweating and began to feel woozy. 


There is a highway overpass that provides a large shady area at about 2.25 miles from the start (5.75 for my run). I made it to that point and sat down at the picnic table. A cool breeze was an added bonus. My water bottle was empty, but a water fountain in about another mile would allow me to fill it up. I rested about 15 minutes and took off. I was able to run only another 1/2 mile or so before I was in trouble again. So I walked the remaining distance. 


A bad outing for sure, but I wasn't going to push myself beyond reasonable limits. I was wiped out the rest of the day. For the remainder of the summer I will set my alarm to run early on my Saturday long runs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment